Producer's Guild to join or not to join.....

I finally have enough credits to join the Producer's Guild, the question is should I? The Producers Guild of America is the non-profit group that represents, protects and promotes the interests of all members of a producing team in film, television and new media. The category I fall under is New Media for my producing work on several web series. To join the guild is a bit pricey, but the benefits may be worth it, having support in a closed profession, getting the chance to network with like minds, the job pool being widened.....but being limited on the projects you want to work on, not working when there is a strike, keeping up with membership.....a friend that is SAG and a friend in the Writer's Guild gave 2 totally different opinions that make since," First of all, the Guild isn't going anywhere, all you can do is continue to stack credits which can only help you." "If this was LA, NYC or Canada where the job pool is different from the Atlanta, do it now, but in Atlanta, if it's an expense you can afford do it, but Atlanta is more about who you know instead of what you know, so it may not even matter." Now what am I suppose to do for me.....List it as a goal, continue to network and build credits on my IMDB. The Guild is another tool that non traditional filmmakers like myself never fully use to our advantage, it's like paying for a gym membership and never going, besides, you get invited to events and award shows, I always want to wear a gown, lol, just saying.
Forever in motion Jenique

Comments

Popular Posts