Meeting The Lynn Whitfield....

I love Lynn Whitfield, excuse me, The Lynn Whitfield, and I had the pleasure of working with her on a film called Curveball. Curveball was a film the was produced and developed by a friend of my Mr. Errol Saddler. It had an array of talented cast and crew that went on to do well on the indie circuit. I was head of costume and was listed as an associate producer. When I still did hair, makeup and wardrobe I usually had an assistant for the features so I had my friend and sissy Ms. Nia Word. A few days before she came to town, I received her sizes and had already broken down the script for the looks of her character. So the morning we are to meet her at the Lowes hotel, one of her favorites by the way, it me, Cidnee (Head of Makeup), Ms. Reece Odum (Actress and Producer) Nia Word and an up and coming fashion designer. We are all huddled at her door when she opens it and says " Well ain't you all a beautiful surprise this morning." We all of course are blushing like crazy. We set up our different areas and each got a turn with her. She was so cool, we chatted and laughed, she talked to us about dating, men and civil rights, she is like your favorite aunty that you can tell anything. When she was done with us she was actually going to protest at an event for Trayvon Martin, the crazy thing is that she didn't have anything to wear, well nothing she wanted to wear. She tried on a few of her outfits but we all agreed that it was a no. So I looked at the designer and was like girl, this is your chance. Lynn loved one of her dresses. It was so awesome that she gave a girl a chance, she took pictures with the girl and posted it all to social media, even took pictures at the rally. How humble is that! She only shot for one day, that was the next time I saw her. There was an issue with her hair by an ambitious hair stylist and she did have a moment, but still reminded professional. Cidnee, Reece and I jumped in and got her together. In this industry image is everything and there was no way I was going to have her looking any kind of way. She was grateful we cared about as much as we did. After she was wrapped we walked her to the car to help load her things. I hung around to work up the nerve to ask hey anything I could thing of about going hard as a producer. I finally had my moment and I told her I was honored to have met her. I also told her my end goal was to be a producer and show runner but I was scared. She grabbed my hands and said "Young lady, it's fine to be scare, it's not fine to stop. I've watched you in this short time you will be fine. Until we meet again." I smiled and said "You will, the next time I'll be the producer on the project we will be working on." She smiled, and got in the car. I was so inspired by her words. I can't wait to finish writing the two films I have her in mind for.
Still in Motion Jenique

Comments

Popular Posts