Really learning how to say no

I know Shonda Rhimes had a year of yes and it was a break through for her, but anyone that knows me knows I never say no. I know I have a hard shell as a cancer woman, but it's rare I say no to anything and unfortunately that has lead to a lot of dumb shit on this journey. I feel like it started when we started coming to America for refuge from the wars in Liberia, every time we came to America my accent was stronger and my body was longer, I was quite awkward. It started as a way to fit in and turned into a way of life. It has build my character and work ethic, but it is now becoming a chore. The worse part is that people know that and are starting to take advantage, Jenique read my script, Jenique produce my short, Jenique I don't have a budget can we barter, Jenique tell me what you think.....it's almost overwhelming. For someone like me that always has multiple irons in the stove, me saying yes to everything is a distraction, so how do you deal? First, be honest with yourself, can I add this to everything else I'm working on, hell do I want to even do this, secondly, will what I'm saying yes to benefit my family and career, and finally will I grow from the experience? Moving forward with the help of my trusted inner circle, I ask myself these things more before I say yes, besides, if people don't understand that you are saying no to the situation and not really to them personally than they can suck it.....lol Still in motion Jenique

Comments

Popular Posts