The reverse shake em up

So when I was introduced to craft bartending it all began at Trois, a restaurant at the corner of 14th street under the teachings of Eric Simpkins. One of the signature cocktails on the menu was the Trois Cocktail, it was a green tea infused gin cocktail with egg white and a rose water spray on top. I had never heard of such a thing let only tasted it. I was like nothing I had ever tasted, it was smooth and creamy, it highlighted each flavor element and visually it was a beautiful drink. After that I learned about the classic whiskey sour,
pisco sour
and clover club cocktail.
Now I know what you are thinking really, egg white in your drink, yuck, but it is all about technique and balance of flavor. The technique that is usually use is called dry shaking, it's when you put all the ingredients in your tin and shake it without ice for about 30 seconds. I have also seen bartenders use the spring from their Hawthrone strainers to cut the shake time, but when I was in Mexico for Patron back in May one of my bar sisters Ms. Megan Deschaine was telling me about a reverse technique when you shake everything with ice drain and then reshake dry. I had never heard of such a thing. Later in the trip we were all in create mode when we got to play with tons of ingredients and it was fun. I created a cocktail called Rest Ruby Rest with Reposado Roco Patron, egg white, lemon, hibiscus syrup and bitters, off the record, I tried Megan's technique, and it was weird, but the cocktail was still beautiful.
It's hard to untrain your mind sometimes, but it's always cool to try something new and share it with friends. Still in motion Keyatta

Comments

Popular Posts