Boomerang anyone

So 2015 and 2016 was a great time for me to really begin soaring in my life as a craft bartender and film maker, I learned a lot about my craft, myself and my friends. When in Charleston South Carolina attending BevCon, I learned about a "boomerang", ok, I know what you're thinking you never saw the movies, or did someone bring you one from down under? No, but this was wicked cool, so while one of my besties Ms. Tiffanie Barriere guest bartending at a place called Minero I was her mix de cuisine. In the middle of serving her tasty cocktails to the masses we received a little package with a note from another bartender from downstairs. Tiff reads the note and has the biggest smile on her face, she opens the container, takes a sip and passes it to me, delicious of course! She goes, "We got a boomerang, yay!", all I knew is we has a drink delivered to us and it was great! So she mixes a drink, writes a note and sends it back down in the same container.
I of course trying to act like I know what is going on, lol. She is so excited as she dances around, "I love this job", "Do you know what a boomerang is?" I smiled and she "One of my favorite Eddie Murphy movies" she laughs, "A boomerang is the secret way bartenders pass drinks to each other, it's usually sent by another bartender or a trusted guest." So there you have it, I don't know when it started or what started it, some say prohibition, some say early 2000's, what is agreed on is it's like top secret, how cool is this job! The next night we guest bartended at The Rarebit and had an epic party (to be blogged about later) another one of my favorite girls Ms. Megan Deschaine and another bartender Meaghan Dorman was bartending a block away so using what I learn from the night before I suggest to Tiff that we send her a boomerang.
She dances around and totally agrees. She mixes up a drink, we both write notes, wraps it up and I walk it over to them. They were so surprised, Megan shakes up a drink, writes a note and hands it to me. I get back to The Rarebit we share another amazing boomerang and we going on to have a bar take over that is still being talked about today. A few weeks later when we got back to Atlanta I was guest bartending at Space2 and one of the bouncers handed me a small deli cup with a cocktail and a note. My first thought is what is this and who is sending drinks, lol but after I read the note, I smiled, it was from Tiffanie telling me to have a great shift and make plenty of money. She sent it by some guest from the bar she was at and they couldn't remember my name, but described me to security, I love this life..... Still in motion Keyatta

Comments

Popular Posts