Yeah I'm priceless

So, my friend Nia was telling me a few months ago about how she was out somewhere and a guy walked up on her and said: " Dang, I bet you expensive!" She laughed and said, "Yeah, I'm priceless." We laughed and laughed but it occurred to me that she was right. How many times do you hear "know your worth" or people say "I'm worthy" in reference to a relationship? Why can't we as creatives demand the same in our careers! Life as a film producer and craft bartender is hard, but we are in high demand, but people are not paying you what you are worth. How do we as a community change the culture? *We need to ban together- So if we all have you united front to not work for pennies, we will stop getting offered pennies. *Be open to the conversation- I will always be open to the conversation, it's a respect thing, get the full details and understanding of the job to make a better decision. *Be firm- No matter how much you feel you deserve, put it in writing and be firm about it. *Don't be afraid to walk away- Never be afraid to walk away from the table with your head held high because if it doesn't make sense, in the beginning, it definitely won't make sense in the middle or end. I love both my careers, and I think I'm actually pretty awesome at it, so why not....you know I'm priceless.
Still in motion Keyatta

Comments

Popular Posts